Back in 2000 when I was starting a family, I didn’t think much about soccer. I mean, sure I knew it was some sport that kids played, but I was wholly unprepared for the craze that would happen following the US success at the World Cup in 2002, and again in 2006, 2010, and most recently in 2014. One thing that’s for certain that you may have noticed as well: my kids love soccer. It makes sense, it’s the up and coming sport in the states. Stars like Landon Donavon (who my son and daughter both idolize) have become household names. It’s all good, right?
Well here’s the problem we were having: my kids had been active in soccer since they were in first grade. It’s been their choice and they both love it. But you know how a while ago all soccer teams were about kids feeling good and “participating?” I mean they didn’t invent the term “Soccer Mom” for nothing. Maybe you’ve seen this and know what I’m going to say, but – things have changed. I never really thought anything about it, but competition is increasing. Like football and basketball, parents are starting to get their kids extra training.
I was a little behind the curve—for a while, but not anymore. I wised up when I started noticing my kids were riding the bench more and more. I asked my wife about it, and she told me that many of the parents had gotten their kids into some online program that was really transforming their game. She didn’t take it seriously, but it struck me—could there really be something out there that I could find online to help my kids become better soccer players? So I asked my wife to find out what the program was and it wasn’t long until I was on Matt Smith’s Epic Soccer Training Program’s website. Within just a few weeks, things started changing.
I would never have believed my children could have improved so much, but now my son is a started, and my daughter is the leading scorer not just on her team, but in her league over the past three months! Not only are they having the time of their lives with their confidence higher than ever, but they are learning to dream big with their lives and futures – something I owe complete to Matt Smith and his amazing program! But okay, I’ll stop talking about myself and start talking about why his Epic Soccer Training Program is so, well…EPIC!
Why Epic Soccer Training Program Is Different
So you may be thinking, but there are a lot of training programs online that can help my kids, why should I choose this one? Let me break it down for you as best that I can:
- The program is a series of downloadable videos. So your kids can just watch them. Even if they are not strong readers yet, they will be able to learn and put things into practice right away.
- One of the big focuses for Matt’s program is “simulating game speed” I know this may sound confusing, but what it does is help your kids practice the skills in the same manner and at the same speed they will need to execute them at when they are in the game. I was very impressed with the effectiveness of this approach. It was not something I’d seen done elsewhere.
- The drills in Matt’s program are top notch. They are clearly designed with the idea of helping your kids enhance their precision, power, dribbling skills, ball control, and even game strategy. Just watching my kids work through the drills and start to noticeably improve in front of my eyes is a feeling I’ll never forget. These drills are awesome!
- One of the key things Matt drives home in his program is the need to have “dynamic touches.” As Matt explains to your kids, the first touch is the most important part of being a world-class soccer player. This is advanced stuff, that shapes their approach down to the core and gets them thinking about the game in the way the greats do – not in the way whatever coach they have sees it. Now I am not anti-coach, but I’ve seen some that are not as good as others. With Matt on your side, you don’t have to worry about the coach. If he’s good, he’ll love your kids. If he’s bad, they’ll ignore him, but he’ll still love them because they can perform on the field! So what Matt does is help them get tons, and tons, and tons of “First touches” in just fractions of the time they actually get them in-game. His techniques are great. I’ve never been more impressed with the effectiveness of a soccer training program.
- An across the board approach that covers every position. You get a focus on each skill, technique, and play. This includes passing, dripping, defending passing, advancing the ball, penetrating defensive schemes, and of course…scoring.
- The program itself works in four parts that Matt calls “The Rock,” “The Cup,” “The Factory,” and “The Vault.” Without giving away his programs method, I can assure you this approach is something that “clicks” with kids. They get it, they connect with it, and they are able to own it in a way that other programs out there just cannot.
- This program works for any kid. He has designed it so that even if your child is just starting out, or if they are junior varsity striving for varsity, they’ll find things they can do immediately to begin to improve their game.
- There is an entire section on tactics. I never realized before how strategic “The Beautiful Game” really was, but it is! With Matt’s help, but your kids (and you if you are interested like I was) can really start to understand the mental game of soccer. This gave me a deep new appreciation for athletes in the sport, as it did my kids. What they will get is both the physical exercises and the mental game that can take their performance from the middle (or bottom) of the pack to being a star on the field.
- Matt is very encouraging. He makes it clear that these things don’t happen overnight and helps your kids stay dedicated, motivated, and making progress. His positive attitude, professional presentation, and world-class advice really do make helping your kids stay positive about their soccer progress easier than you may have thought possible. Even if they are down on themselves, as soon as they start to see the effects of what Matt teaches, they will start to get excited about the program, want to do more, and ultimately improve dramatically. It’s such a gratifying feeling to watch your kids excel like this and know you had a hand in helping them do this.
- Looking back over this list, I fear I made this sound overly complex. I want to make it absolutely clear how very simple all of this is to understand and follow. It’s put together just right so that kids can get the important stuff they need to know, and can start to practice the right drills at the in-game speed they need to be performing at. My kids never had questions, were always able to follow lessons on their own, and the longer they worked with the program, the more they “absorbed” it. It just became how they played and practiced, and they started wanting to go out and practice more and more. So it’s definitely not too-complex or hard to follow. It’s all presented well in a manner even a beginning soccer player can follow
Rather than just tell you about the program, I wanted to give you my genuine thoughts based on my first-hand experience with it. So let’s talk a little bit about the things I feel most strongly about, those that are without a doubt the best things about the Epic Soccer Training Program:
- One thing right from the get-go that I loved about this program is that it’s actually put together by a real Adidas All-American Soccer Star! Matt Smith is a genuine professional who has played and trained with the best. I will take advice from professional athletes who depend on their skills in their career over amateurs any day. Matt has excelled at every level of the sport and knows exactly what it takes for your kids to step-up their game. That’s because the tactics he is teaching have been proven on the field of competition at the highest level.
- One of the best things is how Matt breaks down the lessons into specific tasks that are easy to study, repeat, and practice. For example, my son always had a hard time clearing the ball effectively and getting out to his attackers. Now, he’s reversing directions like a pro, leaving attackers in the dust, lining up his pass, and delivering like I wouldn’t believe. Matt takes your kids through each step of complicated moves like this in ways coach’s don’t have the knowledge or time to provide. Simply put, it’s like have a professional trainer come and work with your children as much as they need on the specific issues they need.
- One of my favorite things about the program is how it raisers your Soccer IQ! I know so much more about the game today than I ever did, and so do my kids! I can now talk with them, help them understand plays and evolve their game because we’ve all learned from the best. Matt is a natural teacher (he started training others to play in college), and I cannot stress enough how great it is to learn directly from someone who is so intelligent about the game!
- You’ll get a ton of bonuses packed with your purchase including a fitness and nutrition guide. As I’ve noted before, I’ve enjoyed these as much as my kids have. The real benefit, however, is how they help you know exactly what to give your kids to help the fuel up before and after practice, and how to make sure they have peak energy when it’s time to hit the field for competition. The bonus materials really bring the power of health science to bear.
- At such a low price (under $80), you really have nothing to lose. I mean, what else do you get for your kids that can be so impactful that only costs so little? Just think of the equipment and money you spend on gas taking them to and from games. If you are already spending that much, what’s a little more?
- Matt is such a stand-up guy who believes in his product so much that he offers a full 60-day money back guarantee. That’s right! If you are unsatisfied at any time during the first two months of your usage of this great program, you can get your money back!
I admit that my experiences are not universal. In fact, even though a product or program might be right up my alley and something I love, I want to think critically about it and evaluate it so that my readers can get a bit more of an informed opinion. So, even though I’m a big fan of Epic Soccer Training, here are a few things I noticed that you may want to think a bit more about before you spend your money. Simply put, no program is right for everyone, even if it’s the greatest of its kind. So here’s some info to help you figure out if it’s right for you and your family:
- One thing that I don’t like about the product, and this is true of MANY products online, is that it claims to be “the fastest” program. I don’t really know that that is true. As a parent, the fastest program is the one that your kids are most entertained by. This program is great, gives solid information, and once your kids see the results, they’ll eat it up. But let’s be real – at first, watching a video felt like school to them. I had to talk them into it. This may indeed affect your results.
- And this is another thing – I sometimes think that maybe having physical copies of the books to shove in my kids hands to read through would be easier than making them watch videos. Of course, what we ended up doing was letting them have our tablet, so they were able to access the material there. So this is a work around.
- There are the added costs of whatever computer/tablet you are going to use. It’s not like a book that stands alone and can be passed around.
- Another thing is that your kids will need to practice. This isn’t a “miracle” product. Your children must absolutely do the work required. Soccer is a sport that is mastered, as all sports are, but practice. Thinking that this is a work-around or replacement for practice is just wrong. This is a guide for helping your kids practice above and beyond when they are at regular practice. So this is a time-consuming program. As a parent with busy lives, we found we had to make some adjustments to make sure we had time. However, it’s 100% worth it.
To Sum It All Up…
When it comes down to it, for us, this was a no brainer. My kids love soccer, it’s their sport. They were unhappy sitting on the bench, they wanted to do better. If that sounds like you, then this is a must buy. It’s an incredible price. It works, yes, 100%, it works amazingly. I trust Matt completely, and what’s more, it’s a steal. So even if you aren’t sure you have the time, you should pick it up, let your kids give it a shot, and if for any reason you don’t find it’s working out, you can return it.
If my daughter could talk to you about this product personally, she would tell you how it helped her learned so many ways to score that it’s the best. Take it from her and from me, if you are in the market for a soccer program for your kids, you owe it to yourself to give Matt’s Epic Soccer Training program a try.